Tuesday, July 01, 2008

the essence of a (foodie) list

Ever since I was a little kid, I've been in love with making lists.

The lists I made were pretty mundane as far as entertainment value go --the usual "My favorite things" (not surprisingly, chocolate is on the list), "Things I want to do before I die" (#34: go work on Fashion Television) and the top 100 songs for the years 1983, 1984, and 1985, (as copied carefully during the special New Year's Eve and Day broadcast from the local pop music radio station.)

I realize the common thread between them and others (aside from the ones generated by the radio station), was that I had put down on paper lists of things that were important to me at that moment in time.

Today my lists are pretty boring, but necessary: if I don't make a list of the groceries I need, or a list of things I need to get done around the house or at work, I feel hopelessly lost. There is a certain sense of satisfaction to being able to cross something off a list. (pay bills? check. send mail? check. finish blog post? ummmm...check?). For me it's "thank god I remembered it and managed to fit it in between playground, lunch, naps and diaper changes".

Ever since I started reading food blogs, a new list has been forming in my head. Since they are all food-related, I decided to share them here. I plan on updating this list on an ongoing basis as I come up with new things, and cross items off.

1. Try baking a Red Velvet Cake.
2. Go to the French Laundry, or maybe just check out the blog.
3. Go to Chez Panisse.
4. Meet some food bloggers in person (preferably over food!)
5. Take a food tour.
6. Learn how to make my mother's croquembouche.
7. Learn how to make my mother's pralines.
8. Take a cooking class.
9. Sign my kids up for Rising Chefs.
10. Read Omnivore's Dilemma.
11. Read In Defense of Food.

More to come.....

No comments: