Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Dinner at the Works on Bank Street, December 14, 2004.

Well, it certainly has been a while since I posted here. But it's time to start again - and I think this time I am going to try and be more consistent. I love going out for food. And this is a good way to diarize my life as well.

So - the Works - I heard about it from one of my colleagues, who loves burgers (what a guy). It used to be a place called Bumpers - a bit of a divey bar where we saw Casey Comeau and the Halfmilers play quite often. I picked it mostly because I know burgers are one of the few meat meals I can handle since becoming pregnant.

The transition was incredible. I couldn't believe how much space there is. I think most of the space that seemed new was the space in the back for the kitchen - I never saw that. They kept the little nook off to the back where the stage used to be.

My hubby and I sat up near the front. It felt a little jammed in, but surprisingly, I didn't feel like I was eavesdropping on the conversations of the tables nearby. The place was pretty busy too, despite the fact we were there fairly late (around 8 pm).

They sat us quite quickly and handed us a menu. What a selection! I never knew you could put peanut butter and cream cheese (or was it sour cream) on a burger. I think there had to be 50 different kinds of burgers. I was also pleased to see that they have a way of donating back to the community via their Bluesfest burger. It always warms my heart to do business with local companies that care like that.

I played it pretty safe and ordered the McWorks burger -- standard lettuce, tomato and cheese. My hubby went for the teriyaki burger. We both ordered the chipotle sauce as the side to our fries. The waitress said it was the best one.

It took a while for the burgers to arrive, but we had been warned about that, so we enjoyed the drinks they served in the 2 cup measuring glasses (ah, the gimmick). To feel healthy, I had a raspberry pineapple juice. My hubby also had beer.

When the burgers came, we mowed down on them pretty quickly. They were good. 8 ounces of meat - still a little juicy. We both chose the wholewheat bun--again, an attempt to be healthy. I don't typically eat that much meat, but I came pretty close to finishing it. I left a somewhat rare part near the end.

After we were done, we paid the bill and they gave us a Works buck - good for our next meal after January 15th. I would definitely go back. I loved the atmosphere -- old, young, friends and families, students and professionals. It was clean, it was funky -- the whole thing is very well put together. I might even be adventurous next time and try one of the more wacky burgers.

No comments: