Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Family Favorites: Buckwheat Cauliflower Bake



Based on: Quinoa Cauliflower Bake in Hollyhock Cooks



I'm going back in time at the moment and posting recipes I love, but am not necessarily cooking today.

My mom bought me the cookbook after we raved about the Oatmeal Bake, a breakfast recipe. In all honesty, "Hollyhock Cooks" is full of delicious tasting food. Most of the recipes use ingredients that are fairly easy to come by as well.

I've been making this recipe for about 7 months now and it has been a real hit with family and friends. In the last week, I've sent this to four different people, on request. It's tasty (especially with the mix of feta and kalamata) and healthy.

The first time I made it, I picked up orange and purple cauliflower to use - and it makes a very pretty looking bake. As soon as the veggies come back at the farmer's market, you can bet I'll take a picture.

This recipe is my adaptation of it. I'm sure other cheese/grain/olive combinations are possible!

Ingredients:
2 tbsp sunflower oil
3 cups diced onion
3 chopped and rinsed leeks
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 coarsely chopped cauliflower head
juice of 1 lemon
*1 tsp+ fresh dill
1 cup pitted and coarsely chopped kalamata olives
*1/4 cup+ chopped fresh parsley
pepper and salt
2 cups crumbled feta
2 cups cooked buckwheat groats or kasha

* the + signs indicate that I sometimes add more, since we like these herbs.

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Make buckwheat. To get what you need, add 1 cup dry grains to 2 cups boiling water.

3. In a large saucepan sautee the onions, leeks and garlic in the oil until
the onion is soft, about 10 minutes. Add the cauliflower, stir and
cover, allowing the cauliflower to steam for 5 minutes.

4. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients
and stir well.

5. Gently press into a lightly oiled baking dish. I often divide the mixture into two 8x8 pans and freeze one - it works well because one 8x8 serves the three of us with a little left over. If you had a bigger group, use a 9x13 pan.

6. Garnish with paprika, if you like, or leave it plain - the green colour of the parsley and the dill come through. Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes. Serve hot.

No comments: