Monday, August 04, 2008

Edamame for Sher


While on vacation, we would go into town every once in a while to visit with my husband's parents or his sister. I would sometimes take advantage of these opportunities to check my email and peruse a few of my favorite blogs.

It was on one of these visits that I stumbled across news of Sher--the creator of What Did You Eat?-- and her unexpected death from heart attack.

This news affected me in a way I would not have expected. Although, I have never met her, never corresponded with her, I was saddened because her blog has had a big impact on the recipes I cook, and my blog.

I found Sher's blog by fluke. I was searching for creative ways to use edamame and came across a recipe for Scallops with Edamame that Sher had posted only a few weeks earlier. Not only did Sher's recipe sound delicious, her photographs were mouthwatering as well. This was the first recipe from someone's blog that I ever cooked.

Inspired and impressed, I bookmarked her blog. I checked back regularly to see what else she was cooking. It was also one of the first blogs I added to my blog roll, under the heading "blogs that inspire me".

Following Sher's blog opened my eyes to the wider food blogging community that exists online. I joined the Presto Pasta Nights roundup after finding it through her posts. In addition to crediting her for my membership in the roundup, I always looked forward to Sher's contributions to PPN. I will feel like something is missing in future roundups.

Sher passed away on July 20, and a special tribute to her influence on the food blog community was organized for July 27. There are many eloquent tributes from people who knew her a lot better than I did. I wanted to write something as well because she had such a strong influence on my blog.

Sher, thank you for all the ways you have inspired me, and many others who knew you and followed your blog. You will be missed.

Sher's recipe for Scallops with Edamame Salad and Puree
(originally from Martha Stewart Living)

Serves 4

Start with a 16 ounce bag of frozen shelled edamame and divide according to below to make the salad and puree:

Salad
1/2 cup shelled edamame, cooked according to package instructions
1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon white or black sesame seed
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1/2 Asian chili paste
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper
Combine all the ingredients and set aside.

Puree
2-1/2 cups of the cooked edamame, (The rest of the package)
1/4 cup lime juice
1/3 cup water
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon saltground pepper

If the soy beans are warm when you make this, the puree will be ready to use. If you make it in advance, reheat it in a small skillet or the microwave.

Process all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.

Making the dish
12 sea scallops
1 teaspoon saltpepper
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Season both sides of the scallops with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet until very hot, but not smoking. Cook the scallops until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side. Don't over cook! The scallops should still show some translucent flesh.

Divide the warm puree among serving plates, top with scallops and the salad.

No comments: