Wednesday, June 04, 2008

real simple pasta with spinach, raisins and ricotta

Oops, I forgot the basil and parmesan!

I'm off epicurious this week and back to my old standby, the big purple binder full of recipes clipped from various sources. Someday I would like to dedicate a post to this big purple binder that has been my constant companion for the last 12 years, at least - ever since I moved out on my own.

But first I have to get through this post, which will be my submission to Presto Pasta Nights, hosted by Ruth at Once Upon a Feast. I've been delinquent in submitting something for the past two weeks, and I hope Ruth can forgive me ;-).



The recipe that follows was clipped from an October 2004 issue of Real Simple. I like it because:
1. It's easy to make - the only thing that requires cooking is the pasta.

2. It has lots of green vegetables in it (especially if you add peas, like I did)
3. It contains golden raisins and pasta - two things that are surefire kid-pleasers in our house.
Another nice thing is that it's intended to be served at room temperature. This may not seem like a big deal, but it's nice not to have to worry about things being too hot to serve to kids, or dishes that get too cold because no-one can get to the table on time (or does that only happen in my house?).
I would love to regale you with a heartwarming tale of this dinner as it was served at our house, but I only have a few more minutes until my little Boo wakes up from his afternoon nap. So instead I will leave you with the recipe and a promise to write more soon.
Fusilli with Spinach, Ricotta, and Golden Raisins
from Real Simple, October 2004
12 ounces fusilli (4 cups) or rotini
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
10 ounce package baby spinach*
*the printed version says you can use frozen, but I recommend fresh
2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup whole or part-skim ricotta
Kosher salt and pepper
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Add the olive oil, vinegar, and spinach and toss to wilt. Stir in the scallions, raisins, ricotta, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the basil. Divide among individual bowls and top with the Parmesan and pine nuts, if using.
**I also added 1 cup frozen peas.

1 comment:

Ruth Daniels said...

As long as you keep sharing your great pastas with Presto Pasta Night...of course I forgive you for not sharing more often.

This one looks fabulous.