Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Family Favorites: Cumin and Sesame Seed Encrusted Salmon



I lost my blogging mojo this week, after a good run this past month. Nothing like a daycare drama to divert your attention and give life a little bit of stress. One week ago, our daycare provider informed us she would not have the space she had promised to our second son (the boo), who will be going to daycare with his brother (the lima bean) when I go back to work. Despite the fact that we have been with her for two years, despite the fact that I have been talking about needing a space FOREVER. We want our two boys together, so there have been lots of converations back and forth, asking why, asking how and talking about what next. No answers yet. I know I'm not writing a lot of details, but that's on purpose. I've been upset and she has been keenly apologetic but it seems that there is nothing she can, or will do. We're stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place.

Tonight, however, I was finally able to move forward - I think, in part to the sympathetic ears I had from my running mom friends. And the fact that there are other options popping up here and there, only a week into the new search. Onward!

Cumin and Sesame Seed Encrusted Salmon

Serves 3

I've had this dish in my repetoire for about five years. I can't remember the original source, though I suspect it may have come from a Canadian Living magazine I read at my mother-in-law's house.

It's fast (prep time averages 10 minutes, cooking averages 12 minutes), easy (five ingredients, not including the sides) and tastes fantastic. Even the bean asked for seconds tonight - and as any mother knows, your kids are your toughest critics, so I consider this proof positive.

Ingredients
3x 8 oz salmon filets
2 tbsp mustard a l'ancienne (has the seeds in it)
2 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tbsp cumin seed
1 1/2 sesame seed (brown seed pictured)

Preparation

Pre-heat oven to 350F. Lay a piece of foil on a cookie sheet. Lay the salmon skin side down.

In one small bowl, mix the mustard and honey together. Brush onto the salmon.

In a second small bowl, mix the seeds together. Sprinkle them over the salmon.

Bake for about 12 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked through and can be lifted off the foil and the skin stays.

Tonight I served it with boiled new potatoes (15 minutes) and a modified version of grilled asparagus with parmesan (recipe courtesy of Kalyn's Kitchen). I boiled the asparagus in water before mixing it with olive oil and sprinkling parmesan on it. I laid it on the same cookie sheet as the salmon to bake in the oven.

And my three year-old lima bean, who is an unwitting witness to this daycare drama? He's a smart cookie, and knows that something is up. He's not sleeping as well, and he's not fussing about leaving mommy at home to go to daycare. On the flipside, he refused to give our provider her standard hug and kiss today when I picked him up. He's a smart cookie, and any changes we make will be hard on him. But he's also resilient, and that's what I'm counting on.

No comments: