Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Gift of Bread



My brother in law (I'll call him BIL - get it?) came over last night to pick my husband up to see the hockey game. He presented me with a bag and the words " A present for you". I opened the bag up to find a beautiful homemade loaf of braided bread. (see above) I was so touched, I ran into the kitchen and took a picture (does this qualify me as an obsessive foodie blogger?)

Once they left, I ripped off a little piece to taste it. Soft, moist, sweet. It reminded me a little bit of a pretzel, but without all the salt. I imagine spreading an orange marmelade, or maybe an apricot jam, on a slice would add just the right twist. Unfortunately, we're out of jam at the moment.

If you know BIL like I know BIL, then you know this: he can make a pretty darn good loaf of bread just by throwing together a pinch of this and a dash of that. I'm not sure where he picked it up, but I have been a beneficiary of this skill for a few years now.

My sister has the same skill too. In fact, I am waiting for her to show me how to make bread using the leftovers of our juicing escapades. Stay tuned...

No comments: